Saturday, May 30, 2009

Drawer of Unloved Beadwork


Sometimes I start a project, and part way into the process grow disenchanted with the whole thing. Rather than take it apart or throw it away, I put it with all my other unfinished beadwork, in the "Drawer of Unloved Beadwork". It reminds me of the "Island of Misfit Toys" from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Every so often I open that drawer and rummage through the mess. Sometimes I feel like Santa, in "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", and I decide to rescue one of the pieces. Every project deserves a second chance, just like the misfit toys. This colorful cuff is one of those misfit projects.

A few years ago I glued the cab (once again, a Susan Pierle cab) on some ultra suede, and prepared the wavy cuff with ultrasuede. I beaded around the cab, added some little, flatbacked faceted cabs, beaded around them, and gave up. Off to the drawer it went.

Last week I needed a project, but my creativity level was on "LOW". So I grabbed this piece out of the "Drawer". There wasn't much thinking involved, as the color selection was already done, and the beadwork was started. Two days later and the cuff is finished. This kind of piece is one of the reasons I don't like to answer the question "How long did it take you to bead this?"... who wants to admit it took over 2 years!

No comments: